IMCA Safety Flash 24-22

IMCA has published Safety Flash 24-22.

Click to download the IMCA Safety Flash here.

Focus on third-party dropped objects

A member reports a significant increase in the number of dropped objects at third-party premises.

The dropped object incidents have included many high potential near miss dropped objects which under different circumstances could have resulted in debilitating personal injuries. The dropped objects have been all manner of items, from heavy pipes, rigging failures through to nuts and bolts, that all had the potential for personal injury.

Click here to read the full story.

Hydraulic Oil Leak to Sea from Downline Fitting

During decommissioning, cutting work was being conducted using a diamond wire saw. A third-party supplier’s technician noticed a sudden drop in pressure, and it was discovered that 100 litres of hydraulic oil had been released to sea.

The downline was disconnected, recovered to deck and inspected. The leak was coming from a BSP fitting 40m from the diamond wire saw connection point.

Click here to read the full story.

BSEE: Poor preparation prior to hot work leads to fires

Recently, several fires occurring during hot work have been reported to BSEE. BSEE defines hot work as any job with the potential to create an ignition source, such as an open flame, sparks, or high temperatures. Examples of hot work include welding, using acetylene torches, and grinding and cutting metal.

Incident 1: As a construction crew removed skid pads with a torch on the top deck, slag and sparks fell through the grating onto the manway cover of the water skimmer below, igniting a fire. The fire self-extinguished shortly thereafter as the fire watch was securing a dry chemical fire.

Click here to read the full story.

Failure to plan properly: electrician sustains serious burns (UK HSE)

The HSE reports that an electrician was using a metal spanner to repair an electrical fault at a supermarket warehouse. The spanner he was using came into contact with a live busbar (metallic strip) linked to the power distribution causing an electrical explosion. The electrician sustained serious injuries which included burns to his arms, hands, thighs, legs, and face. He was placed in an induced coma for two weeks and had to undergo several skin grafts. As a result of the incident the electrician was unable to work for five months.

Click here to read the full story.

Live sub-surface power cable inadvertently cut

A high potential near miss occurred during onshore preparations for a pipeline installation when an excavator cut into an energised power cable. Trenching activities for the onshore pipeline installation were being completed. During the trenching works, the excavator operator inadvertently cut into an energised three-phase 21.6kVA power cable buried at approximately 2 metres.

Click here to read the full story.

Near miss: oily rag activated smoke sensor in vessel laundry area

A fire alarm was activated from the laundry room. On duty personnel were sent to investigate and discovered smoke was coming from one of the clothes dryers in use at the time.

The power supply to all the dryers was immediately switched off. The smoke (there was no fire) was found to have come from an oily rag in the pocket of one of the coveralls being dried at the time.

Click here to read the full story.